Join an affiliate program or connect to one of the media networks to generate income from impressions of Google Adsense ads.
- Start cooperation with brands, online stores, services, that is, with those who are willing to pay to attract customers.
- Hope for the loyalty and generosity of the audience – collect donations (donations) and look for sponsors.
- In the article, we analyze in detail the pros, cons, features, and pitfalls of each method.
The Official YouTube Affiliate Program allows vloggers to earn money through displaying Google Adsense ads and/or YouTube Premium subscriptions if the viewer has purchased them.
- To become a YouTube partner, you need:
- Have more than 1,000 subscribers.
- Get at least 4,000 hours of views per year.
These requirements have appeared since February 2018: now the number of views does not matter. In this way, YouTube fights off attackers – for example, those who wind up indicators and try to make money on other people’s videos.
Mediaset also divided yutuberami with income from advertising at Google, but some take for themselves. If YouTube itself gives the authors 55% of the income from advertisers, then the media networks share only 25-35%. The so-called affiliate programs take a commission in exchange for:
- Simplified withdrawal of money.
- Access to additional promotion tools.
- Educational activities, support, and so on.
To partner with a media network, as a rule, it is necessary to comply with both the standard monetization rules and additional conditions.
The amount of earnings depends on:
- The number of commercial impressions (they are counted if the ad is watched to the end or at least 30 seconds).
- Ad formats and their cost.
- The geographic location of the audience.
- Reach, a number of views, retention.
- The quality of the content and the subject of the video (as a rule, advertisers avoid videos with obscene expressions, scandals, etc.).
The exact income can be seen only in the Google Adsense account or the personal account of the connected partner. The projected channel revenue is displayed in YouTube Analytics. With the help of rating services – WhatStat and SocialBlade – you can estimate the potential earnings from the YouTube affiliate program by examining the estimated income for other channels in your topic. If you plan to make money using the media network, accordingly, reduce the forecast by 20-30%.
It is easy to withdraw earnings from media networks, as you can see from the table above, you can transfer to an electronic wallet from $ 0.5-1.
If your first cents started dripping from the YouTube affiliate program, don’t expect to get money quickly. The minimum threshold for sending an Adsense payment is $ 100. If the required amount is collected, for example, in January, then the payment will be sent only at the end of February.
And one more thing: in order to receive income from YouTube in the most profitable way – by bank transfers – you need to open a foreign currency account. And don’t forget to confirm your mailing address: an email will be sent to it when you accumulate $ 10 in AdSense.
- Disadvantages of earning through the YouTube affiliate program or media network:
- The small income per view (especially when working with a media network).
- Inconvenient withdrawal of funds (when participating in an official affiliate program).
- The inability to receive an advance payment (as with direct advertising) and so on.
The main advantage: nothing distracts from creativity. YouTube does not need to communicate with advertisers, agree on scenarios, comply with deadlines – video hosting spins suitable advertisements by itself. All that remains for the blogger is to make quality content and periodically study the YouTube Analytics and AdSense reports.
The income of the YouTube affiliate program is incomparable with the possible income from direct cooperation with advertisers. An illustrative example is top bloggers who ask for one advertising integration from 250,000 to 1,500,000 rubles.
If there are a million or more subscribers, it is understandable: the channel itself gets into various ratings, plus there is an opportunity to work with large customers, which means it can delegate everything to the agency.
The question is: what to do for those who have not yet achieved such indicators?
Emailing to brands is a bad idea: most likely, they will ignore it and add it to spam. It is better to make advertisers themselves interested in the channel: show good statistics on engagement, optimize video metadata, and so on.
A good option is to try ad exchanges. By connecting the channel to such services, YouTuber gives extended statistics through the API, that is, goes towards a potential customer. It is easier for an advertiser to find the desired vlog by filtering sites by subject, number of subscribers, cost per view, and other important parameters.
- Most exchanges act as guarantors:
- Takes an advance payment from the customer.
- Keeps money with him until the task is completed.
Transfers the amount to the YouTuber if the advertisement is placed in accordance with the terms of reference.
By the way, such a system, first of all, saves the blogger himself from forgetfulness and disruption of deadlines.
On average, YouTube exchanges take 5-15% of a deal, but this is not much if there is a necessary profit – financial assistance for the further development of the channel.
Direct advertising generates more money but requires more responsibility. Both in front of customers and in front of the audience.
With product placement, everything is simple – this is the most native format: the product flickers in the frame without causing discomfort to the audience. But they pay less for such advertising, in many cases by barter.
Sponsored subscription – the ability to regularly support the channel for loyal fans. Subscribers pay a monthly fee to support the author, and in return, they are entitled to bonuses:
- Additional content and early access to new videos.
- Invitations to closed communities in social networks.
- Mentions on behalf of your favorite blogger.
- Unique emojis and so on.
To enable sponsored subscriptions, the author must be 18 years old and the number of subscribers exceeds 30,000. The feature is not available for violations of YouTube policies, active alerts, or not connected to an official affiliate program or media network.
The next option for additional income is collecting donations (donations) during live broadcasts (streams). For this, video hosting offers its own solution – Super Chat.
The interest of viewers is that the paid messages are highlighted and fixed above the others. The cost of one of these is from 20 to 10,000 rubles. The price depends on the number of characters, message color, and posting time.
70% of the number of sponsorship subscriptions goes to the author. The size of the commission for donations on streams is unknown. All revenue information can be explored in YouTube Analytics and AdSense reports. The payment procedure is the same as for the YouTube affiliate program.