In this article, we will tell you about popular ways to make money in the field of design, which is on the Internet. You will learn where and how you can look for orders, how much they pay for various services, where to start a career in this area, where you can study.
First, let’s figure out what web and graphic design in general are and what are their differences. This is important for further discussion.
What are web and graphic design and how are they different?
Web designers develop website and application design, design groups on social networks, make banners, and other work-related to graphics on the Internet.
- Graphic design is a broader concept. It includes work with graphics in any area, including:
- Space decoration: design of signs, signage, shop windows, facades, and much more.
- Development of design for printing products, decoration of books, magazines, and newspapers.
- Creation of design for printed advertisements, booklets, leaflets, catalogs.
- Design for the web, including web design.
- Corporate identity design.
- Development of fonts.
How much can a designer earn in a month?
An experienced specialist with a good portfolio can receive 100 thousand rubles. a month or more.
It is easy to calculate: the cost of an hour of work of a freelance designer is from 1000 to 1500 rubles. When loading about 100 hours per month, a turnover of about 100-150 thousand rubles is obtained, of which about 70-75% is net income minus costs (taxes, software, PC upgrades, payment for freelance exchange services, etc.). In total, the net amount is about 100 thousand rubles.
We figured out how to make money on the design on the Internet and how much you can get in this area. Now let’s tell you what you need to know and be able to do to start your career.
What do you need to know and be able to do to start making money in design?
We figured out how you can make money on the design on the Internet. Now let’s find out what you need to know and be able to do to start a career in this field:
- The theory of design, painting, and drawing.
- Color theory.
- Types and genres of graphics, graphic techniques.
- Typography (working with fonts).
- Knowledge of specialized software. For example, a web designer needs to know Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, Figma (preferably), Axure (required for prototyping), and others.
- For advertising graphics – the basics of marketing and advertising, modern trends.
- To practice graphic design, you need to understand the printing processes and be able to prepare layouts for printing.
- Certain knowledge in the field of psychology, features of human perception of shapes and colors.
Where to study to become a designer?
As you can see, the amount of knowledge and skills for work is quite large. The basics of the profession can be mastered independently using free lessons on YouTube.
If you see that design is your vocation and you are interested in working in this area, then you can take paid courses to receive training at the level necessary for the job. Advantages of studying good courses: the ability to quickly master the profession and build a portfolio in the learning process, expanding contacts and establishing acquaintances, assistance in finding a job.
Examples of Design Courses at the University of Neurology. Training is conducted online, you can study from any city:
- Design course for beginners
- Web design from zero to middle
- Mobile Application Design
- Graphic design and communication
- How to become a designer (free)
Where and how to find orders?
It is difficult for a beginner without a portfolio to find clients. In design, it is important for customers to look at the level of the artist’s work. Therefore, first of all, you need to build a portfolio in the learning process or by completing the first projects for free. You can do some work for friends or acquaintances. The main thing is to get design examples that can be shown to potential clients.
- When you have a portfolio, register on websites for designers and freelance exchanges and post your work there, and also try to get orders. Check out the article on how to respond correctly to customer projects to be chosen as a contractor.
- You can try to find remote work in web studios or hire an assistant to an experienced designer. For this, it is important to have good basic training. You can find such offers among remote job vacancies for designers on the exchange site Kadrof.ru.
- It can take a month or two to get your first job – that’s fine. When you receive your order, complete it as well as possible so that the client leaves a positive review and recommends you to friends.
- As you gain experience, you will find 1-2 sites on which you will receive orders most often. See how you can get promoted on these sites, for example, by increasing your rankings. Take advantage of these opportunities.
- Be active on social media. There are many groups out there where design orders are published.
- Having become an experienced specialist, create a personal website, and attract customers to it through promotion in search engines or through contextual advertising. So you can reach big customers and raise your earnings to a new level.
There are many nuances in working with customers, so I recommend reading all the articles from the section on how to work with customers. This information will help you work with customers faster and easier and quickly build up a loyal customer base.
How is the order fulfilled?
To make money on the design on the Internet, you need to know how the order is usually fulfilled and what needs to be considered in this process. Usually, the work includes the following stages:
Receiving an order. You need to carefully read the customer’s requirements and ask questions about anything that you do not understand. Ask the client to show examples of designs they like and analyze them. Find something in common between these works. This will help you understand what the client wants to see.
Preparation of technical specifications. Typically, the TK includes all the requirements that your work must meet. For example, the number of layouts, which layouts the designer should make, which colors are acceptable and which are not, and other parameters.
The technical assignment should be drawn up by the customer, but in practice, it is usually the designer who makes it, so write the technical assignment yourself before starting work and be sure to agree with the client.
Prepayment. Newcomers are often offered to work without prepayment. It’s up to you to decide whether to take it or not. Usually, the amount of the prepayment is about 30% -50% of the project budget.
Concept preparation. It is important to agree on the design concept, i.e. a kind of simplified version of the work. If the client likes the concept, then make the final version. There are clients who fundamentally need to change something. For them, freelancers often introduce some controversial things into the layout, which the customer will clearly reject. Thus, the client will correct what the performer did not plan to include in the final version, and will not touch what is well done.
- Preparation of the final design. As a rule, the work is provided with watermarks and in low resolution so that the client cannot use it without full payment.
- Receiving payment from the customer.
- Providing ready-made design layouts after receiving payment.